Friday, May 10, 2013

Books books books

I've read quite a few books this winter/spring, so I'll briefly talk about my favorites. (I don't really do reviews. Every time I try, I freeze up and don't write anything. Blabbing about everything I love is much easier.)


On the one hand we've got three sequels that in many ways surpassed the first book: Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale, which is LOVELY. It's been a long time since I read the first book, but I was so glad to get to spend more time with Miri and her friends, and in such a different setting and atmosphere than the first. Really enjoyed this one.

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor, which is also very different from the first book, a lot darker. It made the moments of happiness stand out all the more. And it made me sob really hard, completely unexpectedly. I have to wait a YEAR for the next one?

Prodigy by Marie Lu, which was just as fast paced and intriguing as the first. I think I liked the characters even better than in the first one, and what an end! Also waiting impatiently for the last one.


Then we have three books by authors I love, that I had long been looking forward to: The Diviners by Libba Bray, which was a huge epic book full of great characters and seriously creepy moments. Love the time period it's set in, the 1920s are always great.

How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller, which is the first book I've read by this author other than the Kiki Strike series. This one was so different! I really enjoyed the main character, and the complexity of the plot, and all the other characters.

Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff, I loved this one. It's about a girl who's haunted by the ghost of her best friend, and a serial killer starts killing girls in her town. Obviously it has a huge creep factor, but also a romance that made me swoon, and a great portrayal of friendship.


Two books I read by authors who I'd never read before (but not their debuts): Every Day by David Levithan is the interesting idea of a person who wakes up every day in a different body. He/she has to adjust to a new life every day, and tries not to screw it up for the person who's body he/she's in.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. I've heard about this book for so long now, and it has gotten a million awards it feels like. I was almost nervous to read it because of all the buzz, but it really is a great book. I can't even talk about it properly yet, but I want to read everything else Elizabeth Wein has written.


Hopefully some part of that rambling was legible! Now I'm off to read more books.
Kelia

No comments:

Post a Comment